November 20, 2017… Day 305
SHS Briefing #34
There was a bit of a hostage situation in the White House Press Briefing today as Sarah Huckabee Sanders insisted that each reporter must say what he or she was thankful for before a question could be asked. Oh, but first she “joked” that she was thankful for everyone in the room, and then she said “No, but seriously” she was thankful for the military. She really sucks. The whole thing made me cringe down to my toes and called to mind a jovial but sadistic father figure forcing people to do gimmicky things at the dinner table before they can eat.
It must be nice going through life, holding everyone hostage at the lowest common denominator.
I took note of who played along and who didn’t. These things are supposed to be “nice.” Well, it’s not fucking nice. It’s gross and unprofessional and creepy.
Here’s how they responded, in the order of my approval.
- April Ryan, American Urban Radio Networks: Sugary and poisonous. I think she might have done one of those “bless your heart” maneuvers.
- Cecilia Vega, ABC News: Flat-out said she was thankful for the First Amendment and launched unamusedly into a hard question.
- Jenna Johnson, Washington Post: Didn’t even thank Sarah for calling on her, launched into hard question with resting bitch face.
- Zeke Miller, Associated Press: Straight-faced, did not play along, ignored her teasing, pressed on, gave her a cold stare moments later when the people around him were laughing at a dumb joke of hers.
- Matthew Nussbaum, Politico: Ignored the gimmick altogether.
- Margaret Talev, Bloomberg Television: Says she’s also thankful for the First Amendment then chickens out and says something ameliorating that leads to widespread giggling.
- Francesca Chambers, Daily Mail Online: Somehow snarky yet sincere.
- White guy names Steve: Wearily perfunctory, but then asked lame question.
- Young Fox News woman: Played along but redeemed herself somewhat by asking a hard question and being assertive about a follow-up.
- John Gizzi: Played along, but is sort of in a class of his own.
- White guy named Jim: Cheesy, brought up sports
- Blake Burman, Fox Business News: Cheesy, brought up sports
- Jon Decker, Fox Radio News: Smarmy and all-in
Here’s that Zeke Miller moment. I cut out Mara Liasson’s laughing face because I was ashamed for her.
OK, and here are all the questions: