March 20, 2017… Day #6o
I think I will always be obsessed with government now, for the rest of my life, no matter what happens. They just cannot be trusted to hum along without our vigilance.
“What was Hillary Clinton’s role?”
—-Sean Spicer, spinning like a top after the FBI said it had been investigating the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia since last July
Very important C-span stuff that all happened today:
- At the House: Comey & Rogers go to public hearings about the Russia investigation
- At the Senate: Gorsuch begins confirmation hearings for Supreme Court
- At the White House: Amazing double-speak and doubling-down by Sean Spicer
- At the State Dept: Press secretary grilled about China, Germany and the Koreas
- Also at the White House: Trump meets with Iraqi Prime Minister
- In Louisville, Kentucky: Trump holds yet ANOTHER “Maga Rally”
Other things in the news:
Reuters and CNBC reported that Rex Tillerson will skip a NATO meeting in early April, and visit Russia in late April.
Retired North Carolina police chief Hassan Aden detained for 90 minutes at the border because of his name (He was actually told that it was because of his name).
Ivanka Trump will get a West Wing office, security clearance, and a special communications device (??)
File this tragic injustice under Everything Is Political & Our Society is Rotten:
A friend snapped this in Seattle on her way to work this morning:
New York Magazine headline: Trump said to have political aides monitoring the loyalty of cabinet secretaries.
Guardian headline: No African citizens granted visas for African trade summit in California
Women dressed as handmaids from the creepy feminist Margaret Atwood classic filed into the Texas legislature to sit silently in rows in the balcony.
File under sign of the times, I guess:
“Being white is a helluva drug”
Questions reporters asked today (including some eye-opening and/or funny questions at the State Dept. press briefing–guys, we will NEVER live all this down):